Updated 5 February 2023
Data Protection Reference Z3232976
Low Carbon Exchange Ltd, “LCX” is committed to complying with its legal obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (“GDPR”) and to the Data Protection Act 2018 for the protection of the rights and freedoms of individuals whose personal data LCX obtains or generates as part of its business operations.
This policy describes how and why we collect, store and use personal data and provides information about individuals’ rights. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
In this policy “we”, “us” and “our” means Low Carbon Exchange Ltd, the company responsible for any personal information collected about you.
What personal data do we collect and process?
In order for us to operate our business, we need to collect personal data from those who access our websites or premises, obtain products or services from us, provide products or services to us, are engaged by us or with who we otherwise have dealings with in the course of our day to day activities.
We are committed to ensuring that the personal data we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose and does not constitute an invasion of an individual’s privacy. This section sets out further details of the types of personal data we collect in different circumstances and how we use it.
Your rights as a data subject
As a data subject you have certain rights which you may exercise if we are in possession of, or are processing, your personal data. Specifically:
- Right of access: you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you
- Right of rectification: you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete
- Right to be forgotten: you have a right, in certain circumstances, to ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records
- Right to restriction of processing: where certain conditions apply you have a right to restrict the processing of your personal data
- Right of portability: you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation
- Right to object: you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
To exercise these rights please contact us using the contact details set out in the Contact Information section below. In the event that LCX refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with the reason why. You have the right to complain as outlined in the Complaints section below.
On what basis do we process personal data?
We will only process personal data where we have a lawful basis on which to do so. The lawful basis on which data is processed will depend on the nature of the information collected and the purposes for which it is used by us but will be one or more of following:
- Consent: you have provided your consent for us to process their personal data for a specific purpose
- Contract: the processing is necessary for a contract you have with us or because you have asked us to take specific steps before entering into a contract
- Legal obligation: the processing is necessary for us to comply with our legal obligations
- Vital interests: the processing is necessary to protect someone’s life
- Legitimate interests: the processing is necessary for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of a third party.
For how long do we hold personal data?
LCX will only retain personal information for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it is collected and processed, or for such shorter or longer period as may be prescribed by applicable law or LCXs internal policies and procedures. Further information on our retention policy can be requested by contacting us via the information provided in the Contact Information section below.
Transferring and storing your data
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”), including the United States of America. It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff may be engaged in, amongst other things, the fulfilment of orders, the processing of payment details or the provision of support services. By submitting your personal data to us, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice. For all transfers of data outside of the EEA we will ensure that we have in place a secure contractual mechanism for such transfers such as the Standard Contractual Clauses as approved by the European Commission.
Information provided via our websites
All information provided via www.lowcarbonexchange.co.uk is stored on UK located secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share passwords with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our company, which means Low Carbon Exchange Ltd, its subsidiaries and subsidiary undertakings from time to time (as defined in the Companies Act 2006).
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties in certain circumstances including:
- We may provide personal data to clients, third party suppliers, service providers, professional advisors and other business partners to enable us to provide or receive products or services
- In connection with the administration and operation of our business we may provide personal data to third parties who provide support services including IT, finance and accounting and HR services and research, marketing, business development and consultancy services
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- We may disclose or share your personal data if we are under a duty to do so in order to comply with any legal obligation or where necessary to enforce any legal right or contractual agreement, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of LCX, our employees, customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies, organisations and bodies for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Links to other websites
Our websites may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Changes to our privacy notice
This Privacy Notice was last updated in March 2021. Any changes we may make to our Privacy Notice in the future will be posted on this page and we suggest that you check back frequently to see any updates or changes.
Our Data Protection Officer is responsible for the management of personal data within LCX and for ensuring that compliance with data protection legislation and good practice can be demonstrated.
We may use the information we collect to provide you with information on events, publications, products or services that we feel may interest you. You may specify your contact preferences when you register to attend an event or receive communications, products or services from us. You can also change your contact preferences at any time using the options which can be found on relevant communications. Contact regarding this Privacy Notice or our collection or use of personal data should be emailed to: email@example.com
If you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by us (or the third parties referred to in this Privacy Notice), or how your complaint has been handled, you have a right to lodge a complaint with our Data Protection Officer using the contact details above or emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org